RECIPE FOR CHARCOAL SMOKED RED WINE MARINATED TRI-TIP WITH CHIMICHURRI
BY: NAPOLEON GUEST AUTHOR & ORIGINALLY POSTED ON NAPOLEON.COM
4 to 6
|1 x 2-3 lb.||Beef Tri-Tip|
|For the Marinade|
|1 cup||red wine|
|2 cloves||garlic, diced|
|1 tbsp.||rosemary, diced|
|2 cups||fresh Italian parsley|
|5 cloves||garlic, peeled and smashed|
|2 tbsp.||shallots, finely chopped|
|2 tbsp.||red wine vinegar|
|½||lemon juiced (about 2 tbsp.)|
|½ tsp.||red chili pepper flakes|
|½ - 3/4 cup||extra virgin olive oil|
1. Trim excess fat off tri-tip.
2. In a large pan add the marinade ingredients and the trimmed tri-tip. Marinate for at least 1 hour, flipping periodically.
3. For the Chimichurri, combine all of the chimichurri ingredients except for olive oil, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice, into a mortar and pestle. Process until ingredients have broken down but still have texture. Add remaining ingredients and combine.
4. Add the Charcoal tray to the grill, add charcoal and preheat the Grill to 250°F. Remove meat from the marinade, then pat dry.
5. Place pre-soaked Cherry Woods chips or chunks directly to the charcoal.
6. Place the tri-tip onto the grill over direct heat. Cook for about one hour, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 127°F. Use a BBQ Thermometer for accurate measurements.
7. Remove the tri-tip from the grill and rest for at least 15 minutes.
8. Slice the meat against to grain and serve topped with chimichurri.