SAUSAGE & PEPPERONI PIZZA POT PIES RECIPE
BY: ANDREA ALDEN & ORIGINALLY POSTED ON NAPOLEON.COM
I have been wanting to try making this for a while. This unique BBQ Pizza recipe is easy, delicious, and will wow kids and guests. These Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza Pot Pies are single serving, meaning that you can totally throw in some extra stuff to completely customize it to your personal preference. *Throws in hot peppers and fresh garlic.* I used sliced cheese from the deli section of the grocery store instead of shredded cheese. This made it easier to achieve maximum cheese coverage. The other thing I did was to pre-cook my sausage and pepperoni so that they get a little crispy on the edges.
|flour for dusting|
|1 pkg.||premade pizza dough|
|1½ cups||pizza sauce|
|2/3 cup||crumbled sausage - cooked|
|½||onion, sliced thin|
from the deli section of your grocer
|8 slices||other cheese – cheddar, Havarti, etc.|
|1/3 cup||butter, melted |
oven safe bowls
4½-inches in diameter
1. Prepare the ingredients, slice the onion, lay out the cheese slices, and (optionally) pre-cook the sausage and pepperoni until the edges have started to crisp.
2. Set your pizza stone onto the grill and preheat using all burners to a temperature of 400°F.
3. Brush the inside of each bowl with butter, then layer six slices of cheese, four mozzarella plus two others, followed by a tablespoon of sauce, your toppings, and another tablespoon or two of sauce.
4. Flour your work surface and roll the pizza dough out to between ¼ and ½ an inch thick. Use a knife or pizza wheel to divide the dough into four portions. Form each portion into a round-ish disk and stretch one over the top of each of the filled bowls. Brush the dough tops with the remaining melted butter.
5. Place the bowls onto your preheated pizza stone on the grill. Turn off the burners under the stone. Close the lid and bake the pizza pot pies for 15 minutes.
6. Check the temperature and coloration of the pizza pot pies, rotating the ones closest to the burners with the ones furthest. Bake another 15 to 20 minutes or until the dough is raised and dry. Tapping it with your nail will produce a satisfying tapping noise.
7. Using heat resistant gloves, remove the pizza pot pies from the grill and allow them to rest and cool for a couple of minutes.
8. To serve, flip the pot pies over onto a plate and run a spoon or knife around the edge of the bowl. Then, using heat resistant gloves, remove the bowl from the crust and watch the cheese stretch and ooze in a delicious fountain of pizza delight.
When making these Sausage & Pepperoni Pizza Pot Pies be careful of the bowls that you use. Make sure that they are at least room temperature before putting them onto the pizza stone – this will ensure there is no temperature shock and they do not crack. Porcelain, Corningware, or Pyrex are excellent choices. When removing the dishes from the BBQ and when serving, remember to use heat resistant gloves to protect your fingers. What toppings will go into your perfect pizza pot pies?
Brush inside of each bowl with butter and layer the ingredients
Roll pizza dough and form into disks, stretching the dough over the bowls
Place the bowls onto the pizza stone and bake for 15 minutes
Flip the Pizza Pot Pies onto a plate, run a knife around the edges, and remove the bowl
Be considerate of the bowls you choose - Porcelain, Corningware, or Pyrex are great choices
These pizza pot pies are single serve, so you can customize the toppings