BUTTERNUT SQUASH FRITTERS
ORIGINALLY POSTED ON BROIL KING
A fun twist to bagels and lox, these butternut squash fritters are fried until crisp-tender and served with scallion sour cream, capers and smoked salmon. They’re a fantastic option for breakfast, lunch or dinner that can be made ahead of time and reheated in the oven or on the stove.
|For The Recipe:|
|1 (3-4 lb.)||Butternut squash, peeled and seeded, grated to about 6 cups|
|1||Medium onion, grated|
|1 Tbsp.||Dried thyme|
|1 Tsp.||Dried oregano|
|½ tsp||Smoked paprika (Spiceology recommended)|
|1 Tsp.||Kosher salt|
|¾ Cup||(Gluten-free) All-purpose flour|
|Cooking oil with a high smoke point, like rice bran, canola or grapeseed|
|Salt & Pepper, to taste|
|¼ Cup ||(Lactose-free) sour cream|
|2||Scallions, greens finely chopped|
|1 Tsp.||Zest, then cut into wedges|
|5 oz./150 g||Smoked salmon or trout|
|Pickled red onions (optional)|
- On your grill, replace a grid with a Broil King griddle. Preheat grill to medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ingredients from butternut squash to flour to form a consistent batter.
- Stir together sour cream, scallions and lemon zest. Set aside.
- Brush oil onto the hot griddle. Spoon ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle at a time and flatten to form 6 fritters.
- Fry butternut squash fritters for about 3-4 minutes per side, until crisp-tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer cooked fritters onto the cooling rack to keep warm and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with scallion sour cream, smoked salmon and capers.