GUINNESS MAC & CHEESE
ORIGINALLY POSTED ON NAPOLEON.COM | RECIPE BY ANDREA ALDEN
Adding Guinness to macaroni and cheese added this new depth of flavour that makes this Guinness Mac & Cheese the best macaroni and cheese ever.
|1 lb.||your favourite pasta for Mac & Cheese|
|1 tsp.||Dijon mustard|
|1½ cups||heavy cream or ¾ cup + ¾ cup milk, heavy cream|
|1/3 cup||Guinness beer|
|3½ cups||shredded sharp Irish cheddar cheese(Try Isle of Mann Aged Cheddar)|
|¾ cup||shredded gruyere cheese|
|salt and pepper to taste|
|1 cup||sourdough bread crumbs (If you can’t find, make your own using our crouton recipe, just crush once toasted)|
|1 tbsp.||butter, melted|
1. Preheat the grill and prepare for indirect grilling. Measure out the Guinness for this recipe so that it can come up to room temperature while you prep.
2. Set a pot of water to boil. Cook the noodles until al-dente and drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking water just in case. Do not rinse.
3. While the pasta is cooking, melt 2 tbsp. butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the mustard and garlic powder, followed by the flour. Allow the butter mixture to cook for a little. You should have something of a gluey-clumpy texture.
4. Add the cream about ¼ cup at a time, whisking it in completely before adding more. The first few additions will make the butter mixture look really strange and clumpy, this is okay, good even. Just keep going, slowly.
5. Once all of the cream (milk) has been added, allow the mixture to warm until it begins to thicken. Add the Guinness.
6. Reserve about ½ a cup for topping, then start adding the cheese to the Guinness Mixture. Add cheese one handful at a time, allowing each handful to melt before adding the next, whisking the entire time. If it’s too thick, add a few tablespoons of pasta water until you like the texture of your sauce.
7. Add the cheese sauce to the noodles along with a handful of shredded cheese. Mix thoroughly and place it all into a prepared baking dish.
8. In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, butter, and parsley, then sprinkle that over top of the macaroni and cheese. Top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake the macaroni using indirect heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top is crispy and golden.
9. Serve immediately.
It looks so delicious
Remember to use appropriate, Irish themed, napkins
Two perfect top-down views
Just look at that perfection