SMASH-STYLE FRIED ONION BURGERS RECIPE
BY: ANDREA ALDEN & ORIGINALLY POSTED ON NAPOLEON.COM
Some people prefer their burgers thick and juicy while others like a slimmer patty. One thing is for sure though, whatever side of the burger fence you are on, this recipe for delicious Smash-Style Fried Onion Burgers will please even the pickiest burger-meister. Conceived during the Great Depression of the 1930s as a way for places to stretch their beef a little further, these flavorful creations are still a staple in many burger joints. Bite into a piece of history and savor the onion flavor.
|1 lb.||ground beef*|
|1 large||white or sweet onion, sliced thin|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
|Melted beef fat, optional|
*Remember to use a ground beef with at least 20% fat in it, to ensure that the burgers will get a good sear and the onions caramelize. Most burgers benefit from having at least 20% fat in them, it keeps your burgers juicy and flavorful
1. Before beginning, replace the cooking grids with a cast iron griddle or place a cast iron frying pan and the cast iron chef’s press onto the grill to preheat. Preheat all burners on the barbecue to between 400 and 450°F.
2. Slice the onions as thin as possible, you want them see-through if you can. Try using a mandolin for uniform slices. Butter the buns.
3. Form the meat into 4 loose balls, about ¼ lb. each.
4. Add some of the melted beef fat to the griddle and allow it to warm. Place the meat balls onto the griddle (or frying pan) and press down with a spatula so that they flatten a little. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with a generous handful of onion and use the spatula to firmly press the patty so that it is nice and thin, pressing the onion into the meat. Season the onion a little too.
5. After the patty has caramelized on the griddle, carefully flip it so that the onion side is down. Using heat-resistant gloves, move the cast iron chef’s press on top of the cooking patties. Cook until the onions have caramelized as well, another 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Place the buttered buns onto the griddle or onto the cooking grids to toast while the burgers are finishing up. You can top the burgers with cheese at this time if desired.
7. Serve the burgers with fries, a salad or whatever else your heart desires, and top with your favorite toppings.
These Smash-Style Fried Onion Burgers are fragrant and delicious, fast and super easy. What a great way to bring excitement to another weekday or add a little flair for the dramatic on your weekend. What burger do you prefer? Are you a big’n’juicy person or a thin, smash-style kinda person?
Gather the ingredients and preheat the barbecue
Add the beef, season, top with onion
Once the beef is nice and caramelized, flip onion-side down, and place the chef's press on top to finish cooking
Serve with your favorite toppings and sides
Look at that golden deliciousness, so onion-y, so good