SMOKEY CHOCOLATE CAKE ON A BBQ
ORIGINALLY POSTED ON GREEN MOUNTAIN GRILLS
GMGs not only produce great dinners but are the perfect way to step out of the box with desserts. We’ve created a rich, decadent and smokey cake made with espresso and smoked almonds. Enjoy!
2 Hrs (Incl. Smoking time)
|For The Recipe:|
|2 Cups||All-purpose flour|
|1 Cup||Unsweetened cocoa powder|
|2 Tsp.||White vinegar|
|1 1/2 Tsp.||Espresso grounds|
|1 1/2 Tsp.||Salt|
|2 Tsp.||Vanilla extract|
|1 1/4 Cup||Milk (chocolate milk works even better)|
|½ Cup ||Canola oil|
|3/4 Cup||Boiling water|
|For the Frosting|
|1½ Cups||Softened butter|
|1 Cup||Unsweetened cocoa|
|5 Cups||Confectioner’s sugar|
|3/4 Cup||Milk (again chocolate milk=better)|
|1 Tsp.||Espresso grounds|
|1/2 Cup||Whole almonds|
- Start by smoking your almonds for 2 hours at 150f, then chop to a fine consistency (this step can be done days in advance).
- Turn your GMG to 350 degrees, and use a light smoking pellet. (We recommend Traeger Apple Wood).
- Mix your cake together by first adding your dry ingredients and stirring together.
- Next add the wet ingredients and combine with a mixer.
- The final step is to add the boiling water slowly, while continuing to mix, finish by turning your mixer to high for 1 min.
- Place in two buttered 8in round pans. Smoke at 350f for 30-40 min or until a toothpick comes out dry, (rotate pans and spin after 20 min).
- If possible use cookie cooling racks or a second shelf to lift the pans off the grate for more even cooking.
- While your cake is cooking, mix your frosting ingredients together and stir on high for a whipped consistency.
- Allow your cakes to cool completely for assembling.
MAKE THIS RECIPE EASILY WITH