Drop element here!
VIETNAMESE SHRIMP POPS WITH PEANUT SAUCE
ORIGINALLY POSTED ON WEBER
10 Mins + 30 Mins Chilling time
|For the Sauce:|
|240ml||Unsweetened coconut milk, shaken|
|80 grams||Old-fashioned peanut butter, stirred|
|1 Tsp.||Finely grated lime zest|
|3 Tbsp.||Fresh lime juice|
|1 Tbsp.||Soy sauce|
|1 Tbsp.||Packed light brown sugar|
|1 Tsp.||Hot chili–garlic sauce, such as Sriracha|
|½ Tsp.||Peeled, finely grated fresh ginger|
|For the Shrimp Pops|
|455 grams||Ground pork|
|340 grams||Raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed|
|12 grams||Coarsely chopped fresh Thai or Italian basil leaves|
|20 grams||Panko bread crumbs|
|2 Large||Garlic cloves|
|1 Tbsp.||Soy sauce|
|½ Tsp.||Freshly ground black pepper|
|60 ml||Vegetable Oil|
|12 to 15||Metal or Bamboo skewers|
- If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan combine the sauce ingredients. Place over medium heat on the stove and cook (but do not simmer) just until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes, whisking constantly (the sauce will thicken further as it cools). Remove the sauce from the heat.
- In a food processor pulse the shrimp pop ingredients and process until a chunky paste is formed. (Or use a large knife to mince the ingredients into a paste on a chopping board, scrape up and transfer to a medium bowl.) Pour the vegetable oil onto a sheet pan and brush it evenly all over the surface. Using two spoons, shape the shrimp mixture into 12 to 15 ovals (also called “quenelles”), placing them on the oiled sheet pan as you make them. Turn them in the oil, making sure they are well coated. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour to firm up the texture.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat (230°C to 290°C).
- Push one shrimp pop oval onto the end of each skewer. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the shrimp pops over direct high heat, with the lid closed, until opaque throughout, 4 to 6 minutes, turning once or twice (cut one open with a sharp knife to test for doneness). Arrange the shrimp pops on a serving platter. Serve warm with the sauce.
MAKE THIS RECIPE EASILY WITH