Smoked Brisket Cheesy Fries
|About 2 pounds
|Preferably point meat, seasoned with Montreal seasoning or your favorite rub and cooked to your liking
|Homemade French Fries
|4 medium-large russet potatoes worth, fried through their first cook, but not through their second yet
|FOR THE GRAVY
|Rich Beef Broth
|Salt and Pepper
AUTHOR: MARTIN EARL VIA THERMOWORKS.COM
This dish is not to be missed. It’s so good, and it deserves a showing at least every year, if not every quarter. For big football games, yes, but also for parties, for cold winter nights, for balmy summer evenings. Poutine—smoked brisket poutine—is one of the most joyful, rich, and fulfilling things we’ve cooked here at ThermoWorks in a good while—and that’s saying something! Try it out, get the temps just right, share with your friends, spread the word, and then make it again soon. You’ll be glad you did. Happy cooking!
- When you cook your brisket, make sure it is cooked to 203°F (95°C) by monitoring its internal temperature with your Signals BBQ Alarm Thermometer. Verify that temperature at the end of the cook with your Thermapen ONE.
- Rest the brisket in a warm oven or a cooler until ready to chop and serve, at least 1 hour.
- The first fry on the fries needs to be at 325°F (163°C), and will take about 3–4 minutes. Use your Chef
- Alarm to monitor the oil temps!
- Set the cheese out, wrapped, to come up close to room temp.
- Melt the butter for the gravy in a saucepan.Add the shallot and garlic and sauté until fragrant and softened.
- Add the flour and stir to make the roux.
- Add the beef broth and bring to a boil. season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the gravy has thickened somewhat, add the wine and stir to combine.
- Remove the gravy from heat.
- Heat the fry oil to 375°F (191°C), using your ChefAlarm to monitor the temp.
- As the oil heats, chop the brisket and prepare the platter for the poutine.
- When the oil comes to temp, fry the fries in batches until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes per batch.
- Transfer each batch to a large bowl and season the fries with salt. Pile them all on the platter.
- Scatter as much of the cheese curds over the fries as desired. Top with a layer of brisket point meat. Ladel on a couple scoops of gravy, and garnish with chopped chives.
- Eat it all, eat it now, eat it fast.