|Cracked Black Pepper
|(12 lb) Whole Turkey
Originally Posted By: Traeger Kitchen
With a crispy outside and a juicy inside, the Traeger smoked turkey calls for simple spices and primal wood-fired flavor. Garlic, butter, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper combine to create an herbal rub to maximize flavor while you smoke the meat for 3-4 hours. Make sure to get an early start to begin smoking your Thanksgiving Turkey.
- Set the grill temperature to 300°F and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine softened butter with minced garlic, thyme leaves, chopped rosemary, black pepper and kosher salt.
- Prep the turkey by separating the skin from the breast creating a pocket to stuff the butter-herb mixture in. Cover the entire breast with 1/4" thickness of butter mixture.
- Season the whole turkey with kosher salt and black pepper. Optional: Stuff turkey cavity with Traditional Stuffing recipe. When ready to cook, set the grill temperature to 300°F and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Place turkey on the grill and smoke for 3-4 hours. Check the internal temperature, the desired temperature is 175°F in the thigh next to the bone, and 160°F in the breast. Traeger smoked turkey will continue to cook once taken off grill to reach a final temperature of 165°F in the breast.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!